Thursday, June 30, 2011

Art is like breathing

I believe that art is part of every human being.  Some of us tap into that source more often and more easily than others, but I think everyone has something to gain by creating from deep within themselves.  When I paint I often find that much of myself is expressed in my creation, but that there seems to be more than even I realize, when others see my art and react, their reactions are as unique as they are, even to the same piece of art.
A child placed at a table with a blank sheet of paper and a box of crayons can't help themself...that child is still within you, excited and ready to play, you have only to let the adult in you take a tiny break, no judging, no correcting, no over trying, just play.  Make a colorful spaghetti looking mess, or a page full of multi color circles, and while you're doing it, just for fun, pay attention, not to the composition or plan or outcome, but to the process, to each moment as it happens.  Let you hand choose a color, feel if it feels smooth or rough as you draw it across the paper, is it dark or light, do the colors blend together when they touch... 
If you get really ambicious and what to try something more, try breathing into the art, not blowing on it but breathing in deeply, then let the crayon be in motion on the outbreath, do this for awhile, then in a few days or so do it some more.
Really, try it, i dare you, lol, now you have to, laugh, giggle,
oooooo, now try laughing while you draw,
it's catching...
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment